Mera Lucknowi Andaz.........

Ever since I heard about RCI-Lucknow, I wanted to participate in this event. I wanted to represent my state with my fellow blogger. Lucknow cuisine is all about variety, but living in this part of world (U.S) where 2 people is a family, it is not at all motivating to cook this much of food for one time meal. But I totally believe in- If there is a will, there will be a way. So I cooked, I clicked and happily waited for my husband for a big surprise. Guess what!! I got a call from my husband that he might come late due to some work call. So here I was alone (not exactly, my 2 year old son was there) so here we are, with lots of food but no company. I lit some candles and thinking them as my company ate food in totally Nawabi Style.

So here I present My Lucknowi Andaz....-:-)


I made - Bathue Ka Raita, Aloo Wadi, Shahi Paneer, Muglai Chawal, Hari Pyaz Aloo ki Sabji, Ajwain ka Tikona Paratha with Mirchi ka Achar, Aam ka Mitha Achar and Papad.
Lucknowi food is no food without Mango. Dusshari thats the variety very popular in U.P. Last but not least no meal is complete with out Mukhwas (Mouth-Freshener) and most popularly Paan in lucknow.


Let's start with Bathue Ka Raita and Aloo Wadi -
Bathua in hindi, I searched on net and these are the other names for it.
Common name: Fat Hen, Lamb's-quarters, Pigweed, Bathua बथुआ (Hindi), Paruppukkirai (Tamil), Chandanbethu (Bengali), Vastukah (Sanskrit), Bathua (Oriya), Kaduoma (Kannada), Pappukura (Telugu), Vastuccira (Malayalam), Chakvit (Konkani)


Bathue Ka Raita

1/2 cup Bathua Blanched and grinded
1 cup Yogurt
Salt
1/4 tsp Hing
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
Chat Masala (optional)
Red Chili Pd

Whisk yogurt until smooth (add water if needed) with salt and Bathua. Heat few drops of oil in a very small pan, add cumin seeds. When they start to crackle add hing and add this in to the yogurt. Serve cold.


Aloo Wadi here I posted it earlier in my post.

Shahi Paneer and Mughlai Chawal


Shahi Paneer

2 cups cubed Paneer
1 big onion Chopped
4 cloves Garlic (Garlic in US is quite big add more in India)
1 green Chili
4 tbsp Crushed Tomatoes or 2 chopped Tomatoes
15 Cashewnuts soaked in 1 cup of milk
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp garam masala pd
1/2 tsp kitchen king
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
salt
Oil

Heat 2 tsp of oil, add cumin seeds, onions, garlic, chilies and fry until onions are light brown in color. Once it cool down grind it in to smooth paste with tomatoes, cashewnuts and milk.
Heat 1 tsp of oil in the same pan, add bay leaves and the tomato paste in the pan. Fry it for a minute (add little water if needed) til you can see some oil on the surface. Add all masalas and 1 cup of water. Give it a boil and add paneer cubes in it. Cover it and cook it for 5 minutes on low flame.(Keep stirring in between and add more water if the gravy is thicker for your taste)
Serve Hot with a garnishing of your choice.

Mughlai Chawal

1 cup Basmati Rice
3/4 cup Sugar
Saffron soaked in warm milk
Fried Cashewnuts
Raisins
Dried Cranberries
1/4 cup Coconut Pd
4-5 cloves
2 star aniseeds
1/2 tsp Elachi Pd
1 tbsp Ghee
Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan. Add cloves, star aniseeds, cardamom pd and rice in it. Mix it well and add water and cook until rice is half done. Now add sugar, raisins, cranberries, coconut pd cashewnuts and saffron milk in it. Cover and cook it until rice is fully done.

Hari Pyaaz Aloo Ki Sabji

Hari Pyaaz Aloo Ki Sabji

1 cup chopped Hari Pyaaz/Scallion
2 potatoes Cubed
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 1/2 tsp Coriandar Pd
1/2 tsp Turmeric Pd
1/2 tsp Chili Pd, Salt

Heat oil In a pan and add cumin seeds. When they start to crackle add all the masalas excluding amchoor pd. Stir it for 20 seconds and add pyaaz and aloo. Mix well, add salt little bit of water, cover and cook until it is done. Serve hot sprinkled with amchoor pd.

Lastly its Mango and Mukhwas.
Mukhwas - Khatta Mittha Dried Aam, Silvered Fennel Seeds, Khatta Khajoor, Coloured Mukhwas and my favourite Aam Papad.

Well its one long post - and it is for RCI-Lucknow Cuisine Event hosted by Dear Lavanya's Home Cook Recipes and brain child of Lakshmi's Veggie Cuisine.









Thank You Lavanya, Thank You Lakshmi.


Devi Navratris are starting from tomorrow, So no non-veg, eggs, onion, garlic for 9 days. Happy Navratis to all of you.
Before I finish, I want to complete my story. Next day when I gave this food to my husband for the lunch, He called me just to talk about-- what he missed??!! Thanks Dear.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,